Take advantage of the growing range of apprenticeships in the IT and Telecoms sector
Are you keen to get your career on the move within the IT and Telecoms sector? An apprenticeship is a fantastic starting point.
What is an apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a way for you to gain the skills and experience needed to enter a particular career. Apprenticeships combine on-the-job training with an academic element, which will include achieving industry recognised certificates.
Apprenticeships are open to all age groups above 16 years-old whether they are just leaving school or college, have been working for a number of years, or are seeking to start a new career.
Although apprenticeships are historically associated primarily with craft and trade skills, the apprenticeship principles of a carefully structured and delivered programme of learning and experience is now turning out high-quality employees in new skill areas, such as IT.
Wide variety of roles available in IT and Telecoms
The e-skills UK Apprenticeship Frameworks are designed to let learners work in a wide variety of roles within businesses while they study. Previous apprentices have worked in jobs such as:
- technical support specialist – keeping your company’s systems and networks running smoothly
- desktop support specialist – helping your staff with hardware or software issues
- network engineer – installing and integrating networks into your system
- programmer – creating new code or adapting existing software to help increase efficiency
- web developer – designing websites and keeping them up-to-date
- database administrator – planning and maintaining databases of customer details, sales or other records
- telecoms specialist – installing, servicing and repairing communications networks
- software and hardware tester – making sure new products and services are ready for release to the public
There may be different entry requirements for Apprenticeships depending on the framework levels and employer specification.
Benefits of an Apprenticeship
With an e-skills UK Apprenticeship, you can:
- join a fast-growing sector with excellent long-term prospects
- be paid throughout your apprenticeship, with solid wage prospects when you finish
- receive high-quality experience for your CV
- earn industry and nationally recognised qualifications
Find out more
For further information on apprenticeships and vacancies please visit the National Apprenticeship Service website at www.apprenticeships.org.uk (if you are based in England).
You can also search for apprenticeship vacancies online via a number of other websites, including www.notgoingtouni.co.uk.
Opportunities through e-skills UK
We currently have opportunities to become an apprentice through the following programmes. Find out more below:
Apprenticeship opportunities with the National Skills Academy for IT partnership (England)
IT Higher Apprenticeship (England)
IT Professional Apprenticeship Level 3 (Wales)