Back to top
Available from September 2014 at selected UK universities
Software professional roles are the fastest-growing in the sector, so there is increased demand for employable and productive software engineering/design graduates. To meet this demand and address the technical skills gap, e-skills UK has collaborated with employers and universities to design this new flagship degree programme, the Software Development for Business undergraduate degree, which will be available at selected UK universities from September 2014.
A unique type of degree
The Software Development for Business programme joins our established e-skills degree, IT Management for Business. e-skills degrees are unique because:
- The undergraduate skills requirements curriculum has been designed with input from leading employers to ensure it is relevant to the needs of today’s businesses. Employers involved include Accenture, BT, Capgemini, CA Technologies, Cisco Systems, Enternships, IBM, Logica, Ministry of Justice, and the NHS.
- Students receive employer support and engagement throughout their degree in the form of employer/student events, CV clinics, real project case studies, work placements and ‘guru’ lectures to enhance their employability and develop their professional skills.
- Employers can use these activities to gain early access to students and recruit the graduates who fit their business.
- Students have access to a wider online community beyond their university, enabling them to network with peers from other establishments and employers involved in the programme.
- Universities currently involved with e-skills degrees have seen an increase in student numbers, an improvement in the gender balance on the course and a significant increase in employability rates.
e-skills UKwould like to hear from all employers keen to support educational programmes and ensure graduate skills reflect ongoing needs of industry. Please contact Project Manager firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions and/or would like to get involved.
e-skills UK provides support across a range of areas including employer-led curriculum review, student marketing, raising subject profile and employability related activities to set you up for programme delivery. If you are interested in getting involved, please contact Project Manager email@example.com.
Regular updates for all
If you would like to receive updates on the Software Development for Business degree and e-skills UK's other HE initiatives, subscribe to our HE updates - click 'Higher Education' as an area of interest when registering.