Employment and recruitment
Back to top
The future of job creation in the UK lies in the IT & Telecoms sector and professional workforce – but recruiting good candidates is a problem in several areas.
The IT & Telecoms workforce now employs 1 in 20 of the total UK workforce. Using e-skills UK research, you can find the latest information on labour market trends and understand the IT & Telecoms recruitment issues facing employers.
Why you need to know more about IT & Telecoms employment and recruitment
- More than 1.5m people are employed in the IT & Telecoms workforce. 863,000 of them work in the IT & Telecoms industry itself and 674,000 work as IT or Telecoms professionals in other industries.
- Employment in the IT industry will grow at 2.19% per annum – nearly five times faster than the UK average.
- Over half a million new entrants are required to fill IT & Telecoms professional job roles in the UK over the next five years.
- Nine out of ten firms suffering IT & Telecoms related skills shortages are experiencing delays in the development of new products or services.
- Business skills, higher level technical skills and sector knowledge/experience are often thought lacking among applicants for IT & Telecoms positions.
See our employment and recruitment research
Read Technology Insights 2012
Read about employment trends and predictions for future recruitment activity in the e-skills UK Labour Market Bulletin
See our Regional Datasheets
Get recruitment and workforce analysis from our Research Notes
Find an overview of employers’ views on ICT recruitment and skills in the ICT Inquiry